Index

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Vine’s Dictionary

As part of building up my Bible versions library, 30 years ago (1987, at age 36) I bought W. E. Vine’s “An Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words” (copyright 1984). The first 500+ pages contains the Hebrew dictionary, but the larger section, another 1300+ pages, is the Greek dictionary.



(Actual image of my personal book. You’ll notice the dust jacket for the book is still in relatively good shape for a book that is 30 years old.)

I used it extensively for the first 20 years I owned it, but recently I use the online versions (1, 2, 3) just because it makes my research less cluttered with books all over the table. (Yes, the third link is not Vine’s, but it is what I use when I need a Hebrew/Aramaic dictionary.)

However, last night I awoke at 11PM (after only sleeping 2 hours) and was wide awake. So I took the book off the shelf and flipped through it looking for notes I had made. (I used “sticky notes” and made my notations on them and then placed them on the corresponding page.) Although I had several sentence-fragment, thought-fragment marginal notes, I only came across two that were worth developing as articles for my blog. They are:





No comments:

Post a Comment