Index

Saturday, April 15, 2017

2 Corinthians 11:14, Satan's Disguises

“Hello, my name is Bart. I am calling on my neighbors here in town to highlight a very real threat to us all. The Bible speaks of it here at 2 Corinthians 11:14. It says that ‘Satan keeps disguising himself as an angel of light.’ Interesting question, though, in what ways do you think Satan disguises himself as light?”

I used the above introduction in my public ministry today. I had my smartphone open directly to this link so that the ones I spoke to would focus their attention on the main thought. As I did so, I couldn’t help but reflect how much technology has changed the way I talk to people. In the past I used to carry a Messenger Bag (see #2) that contained my Bible, some literature for placement and some reference material in case I got asked a question. Today, I carried only my smartphone (which has everything I need in digital format) and three printed copies of a recent article. Due to my declining health, I was only able to stay out about 30 minutes, but I did manage to talk to two men.

Perhaps I should not have been surprised, but I was -- neither of them could come up with even one way that Satan disguises himself as light. Although there are several, at least two come to mind: The 1960’s hippie movement of spiritual and sexual enlightenment; evolution, which was thought to be an enlightenment (that attempted to discredit both the Bible and the supposed simpletons that believed in creation). However, the one I was featuring has become very pronounced in today’s entertainment.

I continued my presentation: “In this recent copy of the Awake magazine, it points to a growing interest in the supernatural. (Main article starts here). “We are not telling people what they can and cannot read or watch, that is not our place to do so. However, for those wanting to know about Satan’s deceptions, I think you will find this very informative.” Both men accepted the periodical.

I really do miss engaging regularly in our public outreach, our “ministry.” I especially miss the interaction and conversations I used to have. However, I’m not one to “beat a dead horse” or follow a fruitless conversation. I am just too old and sick to do that. But for those that are sincerely willing to discuss matters with the intent that we either find “common ground” or we amicably decide to go our separate ways, I enjoy that. I don’t need everyone to agree with me 100% -- that is naive to think that would happen. But at least engaging in a two-way conversation with each party intelligently, calmly, expressing their views and then working it out -- that I love -- that is mentally stimulating -- that is socially engaging.

For those of you reading my blog that are not Jehovah’s Witnesses, first of all I thank you for giving me an ear. Second, if you have questions or would like to discuss other matters more extensively, you have four choices. You can write me, you can request a local Witness to contact you, you can visit a local congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses, or, finally, you can read the FAQ.



No comments:

Post a Comment