Index

Thursday, March 16, 2017

How I Meditate, Reflect, Contemplate, Ponder

Scripture encourages us to reflect, contemplate, ponder on what we learn. I've tried capturing my reflective thought at the end of the day while on my computer but I don't seem to think well that way. I don’t know if it is because of the brightness of the screen staring back at me or whatnot. Personally, after I've gone to bed, with no audio or visual inputs distracting me, I find I can easily reflect on things. I try to ask "'why" questions regarding what I've read. Why did that Bible character act the way they did (example)? Why did that news article appear? Why did that person react to me the way they did? During the actual period of my Bible reading, after having read a single chapter, I will quickly summarize it in my mind. At the end of the day's reading, I will try to picture the events and scenes in my mind. But, as already mentioned, reflection comes at the end of the day when I can remove all distraction.

(I hesitate to use the word “meditate” because it has come to mean something completely foreign to what is taught in scriptures. Far from “emptying my mind,” scriptural meditation is indeed an active reflection and contemplation of what impact scripture has had on me.)



No comments:

Post a Comment