Index

Monday, January 26, 2015

Deut.4:7 Incomparable God and People

Every now and then (occasionally) I hear historians remark that the Israelite's laws were really borrowed and adapted from other older “peoples” (national groups). They claim that the Israelites were nothing special and their laws were nothing new. I have always been at a loss for a reply because, admittedly, I am not a historian nor do I really know history beyond what I learned in school, see in the news, experienced in life, and in reading the Bible.

Well, it turns out that reading the Bible is what finally gave me a reply. At Deuteronomy 4:7 God reasons with the newly formed nation of (now ancient) Israel: “For what great nation has gods as near to it as Jehovah our God is to us whenever we call on him?” Ah, match and set, bingo, checkmate! While the God of the Israelites and then the early Christians, and now the God who has preserved his Word (The Bible), is still well-known through those writings, where are the gods of those nations that historians claim were just as good? I’m waiting…....

Those gods are gone, along with the nations. If those other nations were so good, why are they not around today. Tell me, which "great nation has righteous regulations and judicial decisions like this entire Law that I am putting before you today?" Genesis 4:8 The answer is “as plain as the nose on your face,” there are none. Neither their gods nor their nation, nor their laws have survived. Ancient Egypt? Gone. Ancient Babylon? Gone. Their gods, their laws, and their people--all of them--gone! In stark contrast, evidence of Israel’s history is well-preserved. Their peoples (ancestors) can be traced back. Their God has proven true.

No comments:

Post a Comment